Thursday 5 July 2012

Abundance of Entrepreneurship

One of the most shocking things about Ouagadougou is the number of stalls that line the street.  I have been to a number of countries, but the I have never seen this method of survival so clearly etched into the fabric of the city.  We drive about 10 kilometers to get to the school, and there are very few breaks in the river of textile stores, make-shift mechanic shops, barbecues for corn or chicken, and convenience "boutiques" that flow alongside the main road.  This are not stores created for tourist dollars, cause there are none, these are shops for the local people, created by the local people.  They are generating their own economy!

Of course I do not want to misguide you, these are not stores by our standards and they generate little income.  But what is so cool about them is that the stalls serve a social role (people hang out in front of each others businesses) and they demonstrate a culture of entrepreneurship.  Facing a lack of structure from the government, people have carved their own path of survival, and this path is a positive one, from which many people benefit.

Roadside Business


Knowing this, it is with great confidence that we can invest in these women.  So today we met with the second group of women who have applied for a small loan of $200.  These loans are to help them continue and expand their existing business ventures.  The women meet with Francois (the director of the school) twice a month to troubleshoot and give updates on their progress.  Once a  woman has repaid her loan and has attended these meetings, she can reapply for another loan.  The women are very happy to have this opportunity.  This also guarantees that their children stay in school because they are able to generate more income and pay school fees.  These women have also requested to have night classes so that they can learn to read and write.  This is great progress :)

The second group of mothers in the micro-credit program

On a side note: The women took a while to smile for their photos. At first they were soooo serious!  They were smiling right up until the moment they stood in front of the camera, and suddenly the smile vanished! But as I was showing them their photos on the digital camera, I saw that they really liked seeing the photos of their children.  I offered to print off the photos downtown and Francois would give them to them the next day.  Well they couldn't get in front of the camera fast enough after that, and they were all smiles.  This has been my favourite experience so far.  I like that I could give them something tangible; something that they wanted and clearly valued.  It was a good day.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds very similar to the Kiva initiative, I'm sure you've heard of it. I love that you can help grow someone's business for as little as $25 and then they actually repay you. These people don't want a hand out, they want a helping hand, just to get them started, then watch them run with it. So awesome you are involved with this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teared up a bit at your description of the mothers' transformation when they see photos of their smiling children. So proud and heart-connected to their children, like mothers (and fathers) around the world! I only caught up to your writing about the trip today, but I promise you I've thought a hundred times about you! You might find a few textos when you return--and I hope you lemonade and pizza you sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete