Tuesday 3 July 2012

First Impressions

I have re-wrote the opening sentence for this blog about 10 times.  I can't seem to find the words to convey my experience here so far.  As an outsider, there seems to be so much chaos.  But there is an underlying tranquility that I cannot put my finger on.  Maybe I will be better able to explain it later on, but for now, this paradox is a bit mystical.

This morning we went to the school and met all of the classes.  Each class rose in unison when we enter the room, and greeted us in chorus, "Bonjour Madame.  Bienvenue a notre class." The teachers were lovely, an even mix of men and women.  Each class has 60 students!  I can't imagine the corrections that come with that!!! There were many smiles, some wariness, and the youngest ones were a bit afraid of the white lady ;)

After meeting all the classes and taking pictures (which they loved) the classes were released for morning recess.  It is amazing to witness that no matter where you are, recess kind of looks the same.  Kids run, the play games, invent new ones.  There are pouters and screamers, wallflowers and leaders and that kid with boundless energy who seems to be everywhere on the playground all at once.

I have some great pics, but it took me 10 minutes to upload this one.  The internet is slow here.  I will try again tomorrow!

1 comment: